Saturday, February 2, 2008

What Does a Worship Leader Do?

That's a good question. For many years, in my role as 'song leader' @ BBC, it was like most Baptist churches; basically conducting (or 'waving my arms') in time to the music as the congregation sang. The term 'worship leader' has come into some prominence in recent years. What's the difference? I know that I don't have all the answers; I have very few or no answers. I have thought about it over the past few years, especially as we have sought to incorporate new songs into our worship services, songs not necessarily already in our hymnbook. Songs like Here I Am to Worship, In Christ Alone, You Are My King, and others.

Bob Kauflin, a worship leader & minister for Sovereign Grace Ministries, is someone whose writings I take in, because I believe he has some good ideas on the subject. I also like the balance he tries to bring to the discussion. This is a "Worship Leader Mission Statement" he came up with:

A faithful worship leader magnifies the greatness of God in Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit by skillfully combining God's Word with music, thereby motivating the gathered church to proclaim the gospel, to cherish God's presence, and to live for God's glory.

In reading that over and over, I see how short I have fallen over the years in living up to that. I intend to use it to do better, for God's glory and not my own. Keep in mind that the above statement can apply to anyone having a place on a worship team, as far as being "on the platform," so to speak. And those who play instruments have a vital role as well, even if they don't say anything out loud in the service.

These are just some initial thoughts. As I develop them more fully, I will share them here; not only for myself, but for the edification of all who read them.

God bless you all.

No comments: